Since we moved into this house at the turn of 2011, Ken has earmarked half of the unfinished laundry room as his music studio. It was originally an uninspiring space, as he would say, but it allowed him to have some room to practice the Theremin and drums. Unfortunately, the entire house was at the mercy of these sounds as well. Oliver, our cat, must not have thought too kindly of it because he began to pee around the base of the Theremin and around the cords. The instruments were then hastily put into storage and Ken was MOTIVATED. He decided by mid-year that a music studio would be "built"-- one that was soundproof, inspiring and most importantly had a locking door. It took awhile to get this project off the ground (finding contractors and audio specialists) and it took even longer to build since it began at Thanksgiving and went on until Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Because that's always the best time to start a remodel/house project: when you have guests and holiday celebrations. But I digress.
|Dave, finally gets in a picture.|
As the OCD-prone perfectionists they are, the guys took great pains to achieve sounds as authentic as possible. As the only band member who is not musical nor musically trained, I couldn't figure out why this accuracy was so important and let's be realistic, this is just a bunch of people in the basement, playing covers. We're not recording a record, we're not performing out, we're not trying to be the next breakout act on YouTube. But this is where the process is just as important as the product. That's what I learned from this experience after all was said and done.
|This is the kit that makes it all possible.|
|Charly and Ken practicing and practicing|
My contribution besides the passable vocals was to set up video recordings. I tried to mount a camcorder to the track light which worked except that the video is upside down. Not a problem really because I am told you can get editing software that will flip it. I have not yet tried to do this yet but it will happen. Because of the room configuration I had to run one camera on Dave, Charly and me and a separate one pointed just at Ken on drums and keyboards. (This should be interesting to sync up.) At this point because everyone has returned to their day jobs, there's only been time to do one trial mix down of one of the 12 or so songs we did. Ken is using Garage Band to accomplish this and like everything else in this project, he's winging it. But also like everything else on this project, perfection is the goal. I am really hoping to get the final mix down of at least one song and edit video to it in the next week or so.
Stay tuned for part 2 in which I detail the wacky hijinks of the week itself. It has everything: Sun Chips, needless trips to Everett, laptop surgery, using Theremins as collateral. It's awesome.
(All these great photos were taken by Dave Purnell, the bassist and head banterer, by the way.)