Sunday, June 29, 2008

I'd marry you all over again...

To the couple that rocked the Hindu Ceremony Friday...here is the western version that occurred Saturday. Absolutely amazing is all I can say.
What an honor it has been to see this couple go through this blessed milestone and to be a part of such tremendous celebrations spanning East and West traditions. I wrote about Suzanne earlier so let's talk a little about Sam. I have known Sam (who is Sumeer now that he's all 'grows' up) since the WSU days and through all of my Seattle-based life. Scared of nothing, Sam has pursued acting in LA, saved natural disaster victims in Sri Lanka, attended law school, dabbled in politics and fearlessly dared to call Ken and I on our wedding night to invite us to a raging after-party in his "suite." As the story goes, my bridesmaids stared wide-eyed at him while he dialed the phone saying, "What???? I'm not scared of Kali." Luckily he went straight to voice mail and we didn't have to test that theory. But this match between Suzanne & Sam is better than anything I could have hoped for him. Obviously a good friend, I have at times regarded him as a pseudo younger brother. I've probably given him a great deal of advice through the years, of which he has heeded maybe 15%. (Kind of like my actual brother.) But the one thing I have always admired about him is his love of life and love of people. He gets a hard time from his friends because he is relentlessly optimistic. It's because you just don't meet people like that--unless they are selling something--but the difference is that Sam's absolutely sincere. So I hope he never loses that and with his lovely wife, I don't think he ever will. Ken and I left the party at the very "late" hour of 11pm (I know it's lame but we're still time adjusted to the East Coast). All that cool Bollywood dancing wore us out. I just want to take a second to say Sam & Suzanne performed a Bollywood dance by themselves to get things started and it brought down the house. Both are excellent dancers, of course, but the sheer excitement and spirit by which both performed would give those folks on Dancing with the Stars something to aspire to.

Before we left, I managed to tell Sam what a moving experience it had been for me personally to see him surrounded by his family, bathed in Indian music and dancing. It's like I saw my friend as a complete person for the first time and, now that he's happily married to one of the coolest ladies on the planet, he really is.

*****

Here's more pictures from yesterday's festivities.

No comments: