Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Buttons & Battlestars

I'm blogging right now because Ken is sewing a loose button on a pair of my pants so I am avoiding having to learn how to sew buttons by looking busy. See, Ken brings all the essentials to our relationship: can cook, can sew, can kill giant bathtub spiders, can take out the garbage, can clean a litter box. I don't know what I would do without him. Perhaps wallow in a house that smells like cat poo & trash with wild arachnids running about as I consume meals of fruit rollups & turkey jerky while wearing button-less & unhemmed PJs. Let's hope it never comes to that.

Regarding the earlier Nerd Alerts:
This has everything to do with my new (obsession) favorite show, Battlestar Galactica. The re-imagined series on the SciFi channel spawns from the 70's/80's original but with a depth, sensuality and a technical superiority one usually finds in movies. While this is their 4th and final season, I am relatively lucky to have discovered them recently so that the stories & character arcs from season to season are very fresh and vibrant in my mind.
I recently learned that one of my favorite characters, Lee "Apollo" Adama played by Jamie Bamber, is coming to Seattle during the Emerald ComiCon in May. But get this...he charges an autograph fee. As a classically trained actor, going to a convention brimming with comic-reading, costume-wearing, sunlight-avoiding, fanboy, Wolverine-wannabes is probably not what he had in mind when he graduated from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts. But come on, Jamie, that is pretty lame. Wil Wheaton of Star Trek the Next Generation will also be there and he's not charging for his John Hancock. It's just disappointing, that's all. When it's just about the money, it cheapens the whole experience of meeting him, don't you think? Now surely there will be lots of folks who love the show and will gladly pay for his autograph. However, I will not be one of them.

No comments: