Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Goodbye 70's

On an almost daily basis, Ken and I debate the "would-still-have-married-you-but-you'll-need-work-in-this-area" character flaw concerning my lack of knowledge and rememberance about the music of the seventies. I only endured 6 of its years while Ken spent his impressionable youth (ages 2-12) savoring Carly Simon, The Carpenters, The Bee Gees, Captain & Tennille, Carol King, Olivia Newton-John and the Stylistics. Right now he's "educating me" by playing a selection of 70's tunes on Rhapsody while I write this.

Due soley to my father's LP collection, I do know Seals and Croft, The Doobie Brothers, Chuck Mangione, George Benson and Cat Stevens from that era. But I don't get much credit for knowing these artists because Ken doesn't think highly of them.

I think over all the decades of the 20th century, the 70's represented that awkward stage in life where you're between things. Can't quite commit to an ideology, can't quite cooridinate a wardrobe and can't quite use colors pleasant to the eye to decorate with.

I don't think I should be held responsible for stepping out of the seventies at age 6 with an unrefined palate for the likes of the musical "genius" that emerged from that decade. As a result, I'm constantly being told how young & naive I am when it comes to music. "It's as if you were born in 1980..." he'll say. Well I might as well have been.

It's true, I am a child of the 80's--the greatest decade ever. Seriously, who doesn't wax nostalgic about the decade that brought so many great cultural icons to the fore. That period of time launched the meteoric careers of Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince, U2 and my all time favorite, Depeche Mode.

And Depeche Mode, dear reader, has been one constant and necessary thing in my life since riding the bus to school and hearing "Strangelove" on the radio in 1988 for the first time. Those were the days.


----------------


"You started off funny then you got all righteous toward the end."

"Oh you mean kinda like you?"

1 comment:

Amy said...

Kali, I heard DM on the radio last night and thought of you.