Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Intruder-us in the Uterus

(Try to imagine the "OK Go" song, Here it Goes Again while you read this.)

So what's been going on with us?

Taken 11/29

Taken Monday

Geez, finally I get to tell people.  Those 12 weeks took forever.  Do you know how difficult it is to float through the holidays in your first trimester of pregnancy?  With all the food around, the questioning relatives and abundance of activities/events/obligations, my advice: wait until New Years to get pregnant.  There are lots of September babies because of that.  Sidney is one of them.  But I digress.  

But yes, we are taking the plunge again.

This time around the early nausea was significant but more of the feeling like you're "on a boat all the time" variety.  It subsided pretty much at week 10.  But the fatigue.  Oh the relentless fatigue.  I know I had a bit of it the first time but I sat behind a computer for 8 hours a day and then could go home and collapse after work. Nowadays, I don't get the choice and have to be functional and attentive to an active 2-year-old.  In the last few weeks, there have been desperate times when I have sprawled out on the couch watching her pull all her toys out into the living room while both of us are still dressed in PJs at 11am and the kitchen is a mess and I'm fighting to keep my eyes open.  I don't want to jinx it but I am starting to feel a tad bit more energy returning.  Though, I find myself not utilizing her nap times to get stuff done but more to take naps myself.

We've told Sidney that she is going to be a big sister and she understands the concept because she has seen a few friends go through this already.  Most notably in our PEPS group.  She loves babies and loves to help so I am hoping that sustains her when she is not getting as much attention or energy from us.  I remember what it was like going from the "main event" to "having a sidekick" and it was a hard transition for me.  One thing that my parents told me (which I will not be telling Sidney at this point) is that this younger sibling would be a playmate.  With no concept of time, I expected my little brother to pop out and immediately be able to play dolls or Legos with me.  Clearly that was not the case and I was so disappointed that I had to wait 2-3 years before that was even feasible.  I know my folks meant "eventually" he will be a playmate but I was put out.  

We will find out which gender the baby is this time because I need to know if I need to keep all the girl stuff or not.  Also while the first one being a surprise was cool, I am a planner and we are already going to have such a problem with naming so I'd rather eliminate one more thing we have to have options for.  

I'm already showing much more than I was at this stage last time.  That's totally normal and I've begun to feel some movement and after what we saw on the ultrasound I believe it.  The kid has moves like Jagger and was bouncing around like crazy.  I hope that doesn't have anything to do with the small amounts of coffee I consumed early in pregnancy.   Had to be done.

So yeah, in early August we'll be welcoming this new member.  The due date is very close to my 20th HS Reunion so I'm hoping I get clearance to go.  They do have hospitals last time I checked in Vancouver but Sidney was born at 37 weeks and the reunion falls exactly when I would be 37 weeks.  So it'll be a nail biter.  

I'll definitely be writing more about the pregnancy and making lists of things as pregnant women are prone to do.  But so far so good.

No comments: