Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Yoga Momma

Doubtless you've seen this illustration before or know exactly what is said by the flight attendant to convey the instruction.  Secure your own mask first before assisting others.  That can apply to a lot more than oxygen masks.



I've been a part of a class called Yoga Moms in Phinney Ridge for a little over a year and it is one of the most rewarding things I do for myself.  A lot of moms feel guilty when they take time or resources for themselves because to be a mom is to be in a constant state of giving, anticipating and sacrificing.  But this class is just for women who are moms and it has such a supportive energy and intension to it.  The teacher, Jen, used to teach the prenatal yoga class I took before Sidney was born and I really liked her approach and personality.  

That part of the airplane spiel above occurred to me tonight as I was doing my downward dogs and warrior poses.  I think one important way to be the best mom you can be, is really to "secure your own mask first" before you can help anyone else.  It initially sounds sort of selfish but really anyone who is a parent and caregiver HAS to replenish their well of energy and focus.  I'm so grateful that such a program exists that not only offers convenient evening yoga classes but also honors moms specifically by helping recharge our batteries and reminding us that nurturing one's self is part and parcel to nurturing one's family.


[I also want to thank Ken for being supportive of my yoga nights.  :)]

No comments: