Friday, April 22, 2011

Yeah, I said it...

Grey's Anatomy, which once held a place in my heart like no other show, has been on a downhill slide for several seasons.  It's no wonder with the constant reshuffling of cast members, the try-every-combination coupling and the lazy writing, resulting in ridiculous plot lines.  So when they announced a few weeks ago that they were going to do a musical episode (a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Scrubs) well color me jaded, but I was all "impress me."  They do have cast members who CAN sing but that doesn't mean the SHOULD.  Fans were tripping over themselves to gush how much they loved it but there was another camp who just as adamantly proclaimed it sucked.  I went up on ABC's Grey's Anatomy Writers blog and told them which group I sided with...
"This musical episode was silly, indulgent and unrealistic (even for Grey's). As a fan from the very beginning, I have hung on as this show has slowly lost it's way and became a joke. What once was smart, compelling and fun is now the shell of it's former self. Using gimmicks like this musical abomination is insulting and tired.

I had thought the arc that included the hospital shoot-up at the end of last season was a resurgence of the brilliance I saw in the second season but this current season has been one heaping disappointment piled upon another. How can you guys be proud of this?"
What does this mean for my future viewing?  I'm willing to go on record and say I'll stick until the end of the season.  They'll probably give Meredith a pregnancy/baby in the finale just to soothe die-hards like myself but I'm really not sure what else this show has to offer me anymore.  But if anybody has any new perspective on the show that might reboot my attitude, I'd love to hear it.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I haven't had a show since "LOST" - and I was totally burned by that one. What was so insulting was how many hours of my life I devoted to "catching up" on seasons 1 and 2 - and that was when Lily was waking up at crazy hours. Do you know how many unnecessary sleepless nights there were caused by the exciting world of Jack and Kate and Sawyer? And then the last two seasons they just went crazy. It was terrible, that sinking feeling every week - I have to keep watching, I have to know how it ends, maybe it's going to turn around...but it never did.