Sunday, April 12, 2009

Baby Room Themes

Ken and I are just back from Sarah's 30th Birthday extravaganza which lasted all weekend. I have so much video footage to review, it's just silly because we packed a whole lot of living into one weekend. So I'm going to wait until I have a little more to show to talk about it. In the meantime, on the ferry ride today from Bainbridge Island to Seattle, Ken and I discussed pressing issues. Things that keep you awake at night with their importance and pivotal effect on life as we know it.

Yes, I am speaking about baby room themes. I find it interesting that some people have full-on themes for baby rooms. Winnie the Pooh, Peter Rabbit, Dr. Seuss, Sailing, Princess, Butterflies, Noah's Ark, Trains/Cars/Trucks, Sports...Clearly it's not for the kid--who will remember none of it--but it reflects on you as a parent and showcases your ability to be clever and coalesce around an idea. I got swept up in this fantasy years ago when I was dreaming of my perfect, imaginary children with my still unidentified husband. I thought it would be neat to have one theme be "under the sea" and other one "African savanna." Clearly these would work for either gender and you could find enough accessories for both everywhere. Now, I'm not adverse to utilizing one of these themes as we prepare for late September but I fear thematic synergy will suffer from my current lack of attention span.

But then I thought, what about baby room themes we don't hear much about...
So we compiled our list of (supposed) least popular Baby Room Themes:

Famous Fascist Dictators
Apocalypse Now
Taxes
Nightmare on Elm Street
Wednesday
Calculus
Cannibals
Weaponry of the 16th Century
The Spanish Inquisition
Natural Disasters
Definitive works of M. Night Shyamalan

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I vote for natural disasters. Want me to paint a tornado???

Danny V. said...

Don't forget the themes...
- Star Wars/Star Trek/BSG ;~)
- Sanitary landfill
- State mental hospital, circa 19th century
- Before the Big Bang (think about it, then order lots of black paint)
- Marinara Trench (see above)
- CSI - crime scene or lab
- Biker bar
- Professional sports locker room, complete w/ sweaty sports equip

To think we could have gone w/ any of these themes instead of our current one... entropy. You'll see, you'll see.