Saturday, June 30, 2007

New to Me: Imogen Heap, Flight of the Conchords, The Pixies

I'll be the first to admit that music has never been something I'm on the cutting edge of. That usually means I "discover" artists long after they have attained a decent level of notoriety. However it does not diminish the joy of falling in love with "new" music--especially when it moves me.

Imogen Heap
Just yesterday, Ken's best friend Billy sent this video of Imogen Heap, a very talented musician from my favorite island nation, Great Britain. Just watch this clip of her vocalizing all her instrumentation and sampling herself in a live performance. Something about the combination of the song and the performance just moves me every time I watch it.





Flight of the Conchords
Tonight, Ken and I are going to a comedy performance and featured there will be the New Zealand comedy folk band, Flight of the Conchords. They currently have an HBO series and have been making appearances everywhere to promote it. This duo is so endearing and hilarious, I can't wait to see them live. Here are two of my favorite songs:

"Business Time"


Here the guys try to rap:



The Pixies
Known for inspiring Nirvana (the most influential band of the 90's), the Pixies rocked out in the mid-80's combining surfer rock sound and arresting lyrics. I had heard and loved "Wave of Mutilation" in the Pump up the Volume movie with Christian Slater but had no idea who was responsible for it. Then flash forward to 2003, I heard parts of their album Bossanova and loved the song Velouria by Pixies. I soon realized with a little Internet research that this was the same band. But to my chagrin, they had been broken up since 1993. Oddly enough they reunited in 2004 though I never did see them. Their music is solid, not over produced and a little odd which is probably why I like it. Here's the song that started it all Wave Of Mutilation by Pixies.

1 comment:

ruby said...

I really liked seeing and listening to Imogen Heap. So innovative, beautiful voice and stage presence.
And the comedy guys: so original and funny in an understated way.
Thanks for sharing!
Mom