Sunday, March 25, 2007

Fertility: Public Service Announcement

When I was 5-years-old, my mom taught Lamaze (birthing) classes. Sometimes the expectant couples would all come over to our house. I loved being with them as mom taught about labor & delivery and the best part were the birthing films. I loved watching the babies being born. I knew the significance of having a baby was enormous.

However, I didn't fully understand how fertility, conception and pregnancy work--until now. Surprising isn't it? Just because I have "the machinery,"sat though high school Health class, my mom is a nurse & former Lamaze teacher and I dig birthing shows, doesn't mean I know how it all works. The fertility basics in the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility are eye-opening.

Things like:
  • A "cycle" starts on the first day of your period and ends the day before your next one starts.
  • "Cycles" normally range anywhere from 28-34 days. Ovulation typically occurs sometime during Day 13-22.
  • The body can delay and even prevent ovulation if a woman is stressed or sick.
  • Women are only fertile for a 24-hour period a cycle. Then the egg starts to disintegrate.
  • There are physical signs of impending ovulation to watch for (noted in the book).
  • KY Jelly and saliva can slow down or kill sperm (!!!)
I waited for several months to read this it because I didn't want to get all bookish about this natural process but I spent several early months worrying about stuff that was answered within its pages. Something to think about if you are thinking about getting pregnant or trying to currently.

No comments: