Saturday, February 10, 2007

Under Siege --like Steven Seagal

Imagine my surprise when I checked an unrelated credit card account yesterday to find yet another fraudulent charge. This was one I hold with a local credit union, one that is only accessed by me and one that I rarely use. (Sigh)

So I called them and had my card deactivated and filed a claim on the fraudulent charge. It was only $10 but if these people are trying to "test" to see if someone will detect their naughty behavior, my answer is a resounding YES. I also obtained my credit report from all 3 bureaus. Did you know you can get that free if you go HERE? Just so you know, that link is referenced from the Federal Trade Commission (government) website. So it's legit.

The problem with credit reports is that they are about 1-2 months behind the current date. So while I can see if any errors about past reporting (which there are!), it doesn't help me with this situation which is not even a week old. I guess it gives me a baseline to know how many accounts I have open and their status. So I'm not sure what else to do about this. Ken thinks I should check all the balances on my store cards (all 3 of them) and just wait to see if this asshole is brazen enough to do anything else. And being that both my avenues to plastic money are shut down, I have all the time in the world.

No comments: