Sunday, January 27, 2008

A few updates

On the kitchen remodel...
Things are progressing. Aside from a little freak out moment last week when I temporarily felt overwhelmed, I think this thing is well in hand. But then again, we have not moved anything out of the kitchen nor have we been inconvenienced yet. To date, we have received delivery of our refrigerator & over-the-range microwave, purchased all the recessed light fixtures but most importantly decided upon our cabinet maker and finished our palette. Behold:
Isn't that calm and respectable? Unlike this. On nightly entertainment... One of my co-workers Keith loves the new Battlestar Galactica series on Sci-Fi channel. He said it was the best written show on television. I decided to take him up on his offer to loan the DVDs to me. Wow. Was he right. It's a riveting show because while there are all these great effects and space battles, there's an even better plot with flawed, interesting characters. I was definitely surprised on how it grabbed me. The other night when I was rather tired after watching 4 episodes in a row, I accidentally referred to the show as "Startlebear Galactica" and thus it shall forever be named in this house. Right now I'm half-way through the 2nd season. I'm told currently they are in the middle of the 4th and final season. With the writers strike, everything is up in the air. On the Alma Mater... The Murrow School of Communication at Washington State University is moving from being a department in the Liberal Arts College to being it's own college. What this means is that the money it brings in from students will be kept mostly within the Communications program as opposed to just a fraction, as was the case before with the rest going in the larger Liberal Arts Coffers. Don't get me wrong, I have an English Minor and I support the efforts of the Liberal Arts College but it has been unfairly siphoning off the funding the could have developed the Communications program into something much more competitive, especially during the days when I was there. It's a long time coming and I believe this struggle cost a few people their jobs a few years ago when the idea wasn't as popular nor had the support of key high-positioned figures. On sure to be controversial discussions... I'm reading a book by renown atheist Sam Harris called Letter to a Christian Nation. My mind is racing with thoughts and concepts that I need to ruminate on for just a little longer. But I look forward to discussing it on the blog. I hope you will stay tuned.

No comments: