Thursday, October 12, 2006

Learning from the Misfortune of Others

Welcome to my first official blog entry. Ok, let's get this party started....

There was a time in my life (early 20's) when I had to go through experiences myself to realize anything. Cautionary tales were never enough, because invariably I thought I could succeed where others failed. More often than not though, this involved "relationships" and tell-tale actions/words that predicted impending doom. The scraped knees and ego bruises were always necessary to made it real. As I crossed over into the self-affirming, relieved-to-escape-the-twenties 30's, I now find I'm all about gathering information of other people's experiences and chewing on them like a wad of Bubblicious. I'm all, "tell me everything, I want to know every single thing and everything about it...." I have learned from my avid reading of Dooce.com that you never, ever write about your workplace or your co-workers on your blog. It can get you fired. So I'm not gonna do that.

But how about another workplace in the news, namely Big Fish Games and today's layoff drama unfolding in the comment section of this Seattle PI blog. Do yourself a favor and read all of those comments. I have been hitting refresh on that page all day--it's incredulously fascinating. Evidently, there is a great disparity between the management's official explanation of what went down & the comments coming in from (supposed) former employees. If the uglier side of this is true (people being let go days before their stock options vest, employees being falsely assured their jobs were safe, no warning about the impending layoff), it certainly doesn't speak well for BFG or employee rights in general.

Update: From feedback I've been receiving about this entry, it seems that I may have insinuated that I work for Big Fish. I have never been affiliated with them but wanted you to know that no matter what, I will not be talking about my work on this blog.

3 comments:

mark said...

Yay!

Amy F said...

Thanks for sharing Kali. I'll be checking in on you now. I love Dooce too!

Col-A said...

Ms. Sakai... I love the pics... very cute! It looks like you had a blast in Pullman and I'm glad you had a chance to get caught up with your pals. I think you are a wise woman to not talk about work on your blog... you go girl you independent gal!